Earleydays Search Engine

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Where in the world are you?

As usual, our minister Jody, got my wheels turning this weekend.


Have you ever thought about the demographics of our planet? It has crossed my mind, but I have not really dwelt on it much.


Have you ever really thought about the difference between how those of us that live in America versus those that do NOT live in America? Again, I have thought about it. I’m sure you fellow Americans have thought about it as well.


Have you ever gotten frustrated that you could not get in touch with someone because they did not read their email often enough? (Yes for me.) What about ones that did not even have email? (Oh my goodness yes.) And the ones that don’t answer their cell phones? (Um, certainly.) How about those that don’t even have cell phones? (Yes, yes, yes!) Do you ever find it hard to believe that there are people in the world that don’t have email or cell phones? (Resounding YES from me, again.)


Well, our minister mentioned a website called 100 people. They took the worlds demographics and converted them into numbers we can wrap our minds around. Look at this:

If the World were 100 PEOPLE:

50 would be female

50 would be male

5 would be from North America

9 would be from Latin America & the Caribbean

12 would be from Europe

61 would be from Asia

13 would be from Africa


31 would be Christian

21 would be Muslim

14 would be Hindu

6 would be Buddhist

12 would believe in other religions

16 would not be religious or identify themselves as being aligned with a particular faith

17 would speak Chinese

8 would speak Hindustani

8 would speak English

7 would speak Spanish

4 would speak Arabic

4 would speak Russian

3 would speak Bengali

2 would speak Malay-Indonesian

2 would speak French

45 would speak other languages


82 would be able to read and write

18 would not

76 males would have a primary school education

72 females would have a primary school education

66 males would have a secondary school education

63 females would have a secondary school education

1 would have a college education

83 would have access to safe drinking water

17 would use unimproved water

17 would be undernourished




53 would live on less than 2USD per day

50 would live in poverty

76 would have electricity

24 would not

34 would be cell phone subscribers

17 would be active internet users

1 would own a computer


A similar website had the following statistics:
18 would be white
82 would be non-white
89 would be hetero sexual
11 would be homosexual
5 would control 32% of the entire world’s wealth, and all of them would be US citizens
80 would live in substandard housing
24 would not have any electricity

So, apparently, I am quite the minority. I am a white Christian female with a college education, I speak English, I have a cell phone and access to the internet, and I do not live in poverty.

I live in one of the most affluent counties in my state. We live paycheck to paycheck and often feel inadequate around our more affluential friends and neighbors. This list helped me to realize that, truly, I am “rich” by the majority of the world’s standards.

While my head has known this fact for a while, the numbers broken down this way really helped me to get my mind around it.

The challenge I am issuing to myself, and to you, is this: What are we going to do with this knowledge? Do we try to introduce Jesus to those that don’t know him? Do we try to get drinking water to those that thirst? Do we try to get food to those that hunger? Do we try to teach those that cannot read? These seem like overwhelming tasks for you or me.

There are people who have devoted their lives to helping these people. If you are a member of a church, you probably support missionaries. Increasing your giving to church will help support those that are already out there working on these issues.

If you are not sure what to do about this, prayers for guidance and clarity are always beneficial for the person praying and for the issues and people being prayed for.

**I am not asking you to become a missionary or to sell all that you have to try to change the world. I just want to strike a chord within your heart. If we all changed our way of thinking just the tiniest bit, we could change the world. Compassion and generosity are contagious. If you display these traits, those around you will start trying to be the same. If you impart these traits on to your children, it will spread even faster. I wonder how long it would take to change the world?

Again, thank you for reading my ramblings!

Let me know you were here! I love to know that I am not talking to myself. Also, look through some of my previous comments and pay some of my visitors a visit as well.

6 comments:

Sue G said...

Pam:

I really wish you would stop referring to your messages as "ramblings" and see them for the ministry that they are! I'm quite sure there are people who wouldn't step foot in a church but would run to your blog to read what you write. People have preconceived notions and opinions about religion, God, and stay away from both because of their personal perceptions. But, when they come to your blog they get to see that caring and compassion and critical thinking are more than religious tenets...they are a necessary way of life if we are to save what we have made of this world. Rules and regulations have their place, but it is the ability to expand our awareness and open our hearts that will ultimately make a difference in this world.

Ramblings? I think not!

Sue G
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sueguenther

Natalie said...

I was just at a presentation the other day and they gave out those statistics! They're mind blowing! And, I'll read your rambling if you read mine! tee hee!

Carey said...

Pam,
Your blog is a gift. Thanks for writting and giving us something to think about.

Stacey at Giggles and Glue Sticks said...

I agree with Sue G. I like her comments. But you know I'm shallow and if you keep challenging me to think and be a better person, I may have to stop reading your blog. Just kidding. I loved it. Thanks for taking the time to write and share!

Natalie said...

You can totally friend me on fb!

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to not only share the statistics but also share your thoughts about the challenge the statistics represent.
It was truly eye opening.

You and your writing are a blessing, and no, you are not talking to yourself! (But I DO know that feeling!) :-)

Blessings,
Becky

caringbridge.org/nc/sarahsmith