Earleydays Search Engine

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blessings of multi-generationalism

I have been very remiss in posting anything lately.  Mainly because I got so many awesome comments on my last entry that I knew that I could never come up with another topic that would generate such great feedback.

We just finished up a much enjoyed spring break.  It was awesome to not have to work either job for several days in a row.  As much as I enjoy both of my jobs, I enjoy my husband and kids more.  We went up to the mountains and spent a few days at the cabin.  It was warm enough to hike and play in the creek, but cool enough that there were no mosquitos or chiggers or poison ivy yet - perfect weather.

We also had Grandparents Day at school.  It is always the last day of school before spring break.  There is a special program just for the kids and grandparents, and then the kids get to leave at noon.  My hubby and I are blessed that we both adore our inlaws.  Our kids are blessed to have 3 full sets of grandparents that all get along with each other.

I have tried to make a point of making sure that my kids appreciate their grandparents.  Neither my husband nor myself have any living grandparents - and haven't for a while.  It is kind of an empty feeling.

My oldest, J., and I were talking about this while hiking at the cabin.  She had a neat way of putting it.  She said that you have your friends to be your friends, your parents to be your parents, and your grandparents are like your friendly parents.  Friends, parents, and grandparents all fill a different role and meet a different need, and none can fill the space of another.  I thought that was a neat way of looking at it.

My grandparents were awesome people and I was so blessed to know them.  In a way, they remind me of my children.  My oldest daughter, while funny and fun-loving, is a nurturer.  She is always careful of others feelings.  My maternal grandparents were the same way.  My youngest daughter, while a nurturer as well, is very up-front and no-nonsense, the same as my paternal grandparents.  While she, and they, would do anything for you, they will also let you know where you stand and did not waste time on stressing about pleasing everyone.  I think this is the best mix in the world as they balance perfectly.  You need both personalities in your life in order to make your life complete.

I think this is why my husband and I work so well together - we balance each other.  If you have two personalities that are completely alike or so completely opposite, you have nothing to use to complete each other.

Well, this was another one of my posts about nothing, so if you are still reading - congrats and thank you.

Please sign the guestbook and let me know you were here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course we are still reading. I like the fact that you're kids get to enjoy their grand-parents. I miss my grandpa so much. I hope he is well where he is.

I like the sound of your family. Keep writing.

Becky Smith said...

Your daughter's comment about her grandparents was wonderful. She is fortunate to have that attitude--sometimes the older kids get, the less they value their grandparents.

You've obviously done a great job raising your kids!

Blessings
Becky

Sue G said...

Post about nothing??? Your post was about family, abut love, about the difference between handing down generational curses or generational blessings. You have picked up the blessings learned at you parents' knee, your grandparents' knees. And now you are handing those things down to your kids, and they will to their kids. And who you are and what you stand for will live on in them, and in their kids, and in their kids.

Talk about contributions to life.

Anonymous said...

This post was not about nothing. It was about a loving family (something I once had). It reminded me of the good ole days when my grandparents were still alive and I was younger. I am nineteen now and I am very greatful for the family I have been given. I miss my grandparents very much especially my grandmother (on my mom's side of the family) who passed away when I was seven. This post reminded me of her and I am glad that your children are getting to spend time with their grandparents because I'd give anything to have one more day with mine.

Marysienka said...

Hello! I just wanted to let you know I stopped by, and that I really enjoyed your post! It was certainly NOT about nothing :) I so love hearing about grandparents. I am a fan of mine!
:)

Stargirl said...

Grandchildren even being in contact with their grandparents is such a rare thing now a days. Its lovely that your children have a positive relationship with them, and that they can take that relationship to school. Its so special, and makes me feel optimistic that there is still respect for our elderly in at least one place of the world. Thank you!
Stargirl
http://averagetwenty-something.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very Nice, glad you enjoyed spring break with the fam. I was blessed for a time to have grandparents and great grandparents. Now my children have the same. Enjoyed reading.

Anonymous said...

I never knew any Grandparents,but I hear they were good people. I am blest to have 5 beautiful grand children and 2 Great ones. J is just a beautiful person and she very casually keeps both sets of G.P.s happy and loved at Grandparents day.So does M. Becky was so right, sometimes older kids are not really interested in older people.

Mister Wilson said...

http://horrormoviecritique.blogspot.com/

Princess Grace || Photography By Princess said...

Love your blog!!! l really like your style.
i'm following it :)
Hope you follow mine too
http://ColorMePrincess.blogspot.com