Earleydays Search Engine

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Marching forth on March Fourth!

What a happy, happy time! My oldest daughter, J., got baptized Wednesday night!

(As stated when M. got baptized in July, I am not wanting to start a theological debate or anything. I just want you readers to understand what baptism means to us:

The word baptize comes from the Greek word "baptizo" and literally means, "to dip, to immerse, to plunge." In addition to the literal meaning of the word, immersion is practiced because it was the practice of the church in apostolic times. Still further, only immersion conforms to the description of baptisms as given by the apostle Paul in Romans 6:3-5 where he speaks of it as a burial and resurrection.


We believe that baptism by immersion is a necessary response of faith to God’s free grace. It is not a work we do to earn God’s favor, but rather, a work God does for us."We see this as one of the steps necessary to becoming a Christian - giving your life to God.)

Okay, now back to the pictures. For those of you that are not from the same religion as us, I will have a running commentary on what is going on with each of the pictures. For those of you that were there, or know what is going on, feel free to just look at the pictures if you want.

Here is the excited Dad, waiting on J. to get ready:




Here is our good friend V.T. getting the baptistry ready. By getting it ready, I mean removing the foam rocket that had mistakenly and mysteriously landed in the baptistry earlier.




My sweet M. and our "adopted" sister B.B. She bridges J. and M. together nicely, don't you think? With her blue eyes like M. and dark hair like J., she blends right in.


Friends waiting on J. (There was a lot of waiting on J.)







Behind the scenes: J., MM., KJ., and CT:










I absolutely LOVE this picture. The kids are being led in prayer by one of our youth ministers.



Here we go!






J. realizing that the water is really cold:










Before I go any farther, I have a couple of disclaimers to throw in. When I was young, it seemed to always be the minister who did the baptizing. I have observed that more and more people are choosing to be baptized by someone who has been a big influence on them spiritually. J. and CT, the young man in the picture, have been talking a lot lately about Christianity, life as a teenager, being spiritual leaders, etc. They are not "dating" or "going out" or whatever the term is these days. J. calls him her big brother and he calls her his little sister. I didn't want any inaccurate beliefs about them to be floating around making either of them uncomfortable.



Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program. Again.



Here, CT is asking J if she believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died for her sins.






Based on her agreement and confession of her belief, she is baptized:
































Lest you think I wasn't there, here is proof. My left hand is holding on to J.'s hand.




Notice KJ's expression? J had just slipped coming up the steps. She is a true gymnast.


I LOVE this picture. I love these girls. I love this picture of these girls.




The "hugging" aftermath:









We are all so very thankful to you that were there in person, those that have prayed for any of us in the past, and those of you that will pray for us in the future.



Please continue to pray that we will be able to be good parents to our daughters and that we will raise them to be strong Christian women.



As always, leave us a note in the guestbook to let us know you were here!



(Instructions for newbies: click on "comments" below. Type your comment in the space provided, then provide your identity by clicking on "Anonymous" unless you you are a fellow blogger/have a google account, or fit one of the other ID types listed. If you click as anonymous, be sure to sign your name to your post.)













12 comments:

wxjeff said...

Outstanding, Pam. Well-stated with great pictures.

Debbie said...

Wonderful post. How exciting for you. May I ask what religion this is? Sounds very much how I was raised.

God Bless~
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I loved witnessing Jessalyn's birth into Jesus last night. The pictures give such a special glimpse too for those who were not present.

Jessalyn is a very special young woman and I know God has an awesome plan for her life as she continues to follow Him!Yesterday was only the beginning.

Our family LOVES your family!

Sherry Hubright

Pam D said...

Love her expression when she came out of the water... "I'm clean!" What a wonderful day for you, Pam.. as a parent, I want my child to be a child of God more than I want him to be smart, successful, or happy. If he's a believer and walks in faith, then I'll feel like I've honored God's covenant when He gave my child to me. Thanks for letting us "witness" such a beautiful moment in your lives....

Anonymous said...

tell j we are so proud of her she is so lucky to have such a good family an friends that love her. may god bless her an p an m an c love to number 1 squeeze an # 2 love paw

Anonymous said...

We were thrilled to be there and be a part of this exciting time of J.'s life!

Love you guys,
The Bethays

Sue G said...

Pam:

What a thrilling and meaningful event in J's life, and in your family. As parents, you both know that J has committed to a walk full of meaning, growth, and love as she follows Christ. For J, she now has the privilege of knowing that no matter where she is, what is going on in her life or around her, she is never alone, for He is always with her. All God needed was an invitation.

You must be so proud of both your daughters. Not only are they lovely externally, they are enlightened and illuminated internally.

It just doesn't get any better than that!

Thank you for sharing this special moment in your lives with us.

Sue G
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sueguenther

Pam D said...

btw... go to BooMama's blog (http://boomama.net/2009/03/06/if-you-like-it-she-can-put-your-name-on-it/comment-page-1/#comment-103363) and check out this giveaway.. look at the tile at the top and you WILL understand why I sent you there!

Stacey at Giggles and Glue Sticks said...

Hooray!! Give the little J booger a hug for me and tell her congrats. I am so proud of her. You've got such a precious girl. Miss her!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful night for a beautiful girl! Thank you for inviting us all into your special evening.

Hugs to you and the girls!

Becky
caringbridge.org/nc/sarahsmith

Anonymous said...

Popping over from Kristie's site to say....... Amen, Amen and AMEN. It's just lovely to see young people who have a heart for our Lord! I couldn't say it better than Pam:

"I want my child to be a child of God more than I want him to be smart, successful, or happy. If he's a believer and walks in faith, then I'll feel like I've honored God's covenant when He gave my child to me." Again, Amen, Amen and AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Dear P, thank you so much for sharing since I couldn't be with my Grandaughter for this beautiful, spiritual moment of her life. Congratulations to her and to you for now having a complete christian family. So proud of my little daughter as well as the whole family. I am proud for you, J , C and m for having such beautiful friends. I think it was wonderful that J had her friend to babtize her.May God continue to Bless all of you. J has always been a wonderful girl.
Remember, I love you all.
Your adopted daughter is very beautiful. Mom