Earleydays Search Engine

Sunday, April 19, 2009

My "other" girls

As some of you may know, I coach a level 3 gymnastics team.  We had our state meet this weekend.  They finished 8th in the state, out of more than 30 gyms.  YAY!!

 

While I am excited about how well that they placed, that is not the point of my entry today.  As their season comes to a close, I look back at some of my favorite memories, both of the season and of the state meet.

 

As I look back on all this time together, I have decided that I am too much of a softie to ever lead a cut-throat, unbeatable team.  What has touched me the most has not been high scores and 1st places.  It has been watching them grow and mature and become a “team.”

 

They came in as a bunch of scared and nervous girls.  Now they are friends and supporters.  I have seen my girls hug each other when they learn a new skill.  I have heard them cheer each other on when they see one of their own struggling.  I have had them jump up and do the “stay on the beam” dance when one struggles to stay on the beam.  I have had them crawl in my lap and snuggle.  I have had them wrap around my legs when I am walking.  I have seen them holding hands with each other while they are getting instructions. 

 

I am more proud of my girls for their actions at the meet than if they would have come out in 1st place, but without their wonderful personalities.

 

Let me tell you a couple of excerpts from the meet so that you can see what amazing young girls that I have.

 

When we were at the bars and some of the girls would get to a skill that they had been struggling with, I would hear them quietly cheer, “YES” when their teammate made their skill.  They came and sat next to me during beam because they knew that I needed to hold on to someone when the girls are doing their handstands on beam.  They let me hold their arm or leg.  (There was once that I accidentally grabbed the leg of the girl that was the timer for beam, but that is another story for another day.)  They did a modified “stay on the beam” dance with me while their teammates were doing their handstands and leaps.  They cheered their teammates loudly, they told them good job and high fived them no matter if they stuck their routines or not.  They were able to shake off a bad event and not take it with them to the next event.  They made me and their other coach so very proud and we love them dearly.

 

The rest of the season will be spent training them for the next level, learning new “fun” skills and getting them ready for their new level and new coaches. 

 

I am going to be sad to see them go, but proud to see them progress.  It is almost like having kids.  You have to give them roots before they can grow wings.  Whether these girls stay in gymnastics or not, I hope that they remember the lessons they have learned and the coaches that loved them.

 

So, obviously I do not have what it takes to make these girls be state champions that will always outscore everyone else.  That would take someone much tougher than I am.  Someone who does not get teary eyed when they are crying during conditioning.  Someone who does not think one of the best parts of practice is getting the hugs at the end of practice.  Someone who does not feel so honored when they want to come sit in my lap or lay their head on my shoulder.  Maybe one day, I will be “tougher.”  For now though, I am going to enjoy the ride and the joy that comes with it.  

As always, leave me a comment (click the word "comment" below) and let me know you were here.

12 comments:

Pam D said...

Pam, if I had a daughter, and she wanted to be a gymnast, I would want YOU for her coach. Your team IS the winning team, whether they're wearing medals around their necks or not. The skills they've learned under your tutelage are ones that will last them a lifetime. They might not hop up on a beam at work when they're all grown up, but they probably will have to work with other people on a team to accomplish goals. And they'll do well, because they've learned about teamwork and support from you. Most importantly, I know they've learned about Jesus just from watching you. And those lessons? They aren't only essential; they're ETERNAL! High fives for you and your winning girls...

Debbie said...

Winning isn't always a metal around the neck but a feeling in the heart. What you taught your girl's is worth more than any gold metal, silver metal,& bronze metal. You taught them love, kindness and Jesus. God Bless you and wish all coaches were like you. They are winners!!!

God Bless~
Debbie Jean

Sherry said...

Pam, I just can't tell you enough how much you have meant to Ashley!!You mean so much to her and to us, for the love and support you have given her, through this year. You and Margaret have made this a fun and great learning experience, for the girls. I really would not have believed that Ashley could get up and do all that she has done, but with your support, it was made possible. I have seen their support of each other and I think that comes from the example you and Margaret have been, for all the girls. It will be sad, for sure, for them not to have you for a coach, but what you have instilled in them, will move on with them. Thanks, again, for all you have done!!

Sue G said...

I'm not sure I agree that you will never coach a state champion team, but let's say you're right. No state champion gymnasts. And I guess in the world of gymnastics that should matter, right? But in the world of LIFE what matters most is that we are champions of our own lives. That we understand how to contribute rather than how to fit in. That we are aware of our gifts and attributes so that we can develop life long relationships because we know exactly who we are. That we can admit our weaknesses so that we have the promise of being able to grow and change in those areas. That we can fail at something and it makes us work harder so that our successes are meaningful and not rote. That we can understand that we are unique and wonderful no matter how the world perceives us but because of how we perceive ourselves through the eyes of God.

Yes, Pam, you most definitely are the coach of champions...life champions who will take what you have shared with them and what you have helped them develop and use it to make this world a better place simply because they are in it.

The medals are intrinsic. The rewards are ongoing. And the contributions are everlasting.

Good job, Coach!

Renee said...

I need a tissue! To Emma's wonderful coach, Pam, you are truly amazing. I've watched you throughout this whole year with the girls- your positive attitude and approach along with your uplifting smile and nurturing way has been such a blessing for Emma to be around. The love you have for them so clearly shows and I will be forever grateful for what you've given Emma.

When Emma fractured her foot in January, just a month before competition began, we feared she might not get to compete at all. I can tell you that part of the reason she got back into it so quickly was your sweet messages while she was out and the encouragement you and Margaret gave her once she came back into it. She came back into practice timid and scared, but then less than two weeks later, she was at her first meet feeling confident and excited! That was hugely due to you and Margaret and your incredible support and encouragement.

Emma has grown so much this year and I do believe she has become a better person because of you and Margaret!

I can't wait to read this to her!

martha said...

I wish I were one of the "other girls". God Bless all of you.
Martha

Anonymous said...

Did I actually figure this out??! Well, maybe. Read your latest. I admire you more than you know...we both do. You're a wonderful daughter to us. Bob and Dawn

Marcia McIntyre said...

You have taught these girls lessons that they can use throughout their life. Makaila and I value that way more than any 1st place trophy. Thanks for all you've done. You are ALL winners to me!

Larry Metsch said...

When Lisa and I selected a coach for Halle's older sister, Nicole, we chose a gentleman whose priorities were fair play, sportsmanship, integrity and above all fun. His desire to win was strong however he never let that desire turn his focus from the good lessons he was teaching to his team. We feel that Halle now has had the same experience with her time on team. Thank you for all that you do. If Lisa and I had to choose between a coach who was “strong” enough to take 1st at State, or coaches who possessed an even greater strength; the strength to remember that they are helping to shape souls, personalities, and character as well as shaping young bodies…we choose the later.

Sue G said...

You've been on my mind tonight, just thinking how busy you must be this time of the year. Perhaps that is why we haven't heard from you for a while. I hope all is well and that the close of the school year is the beginning of more time with family and friends. Just wanted to check in and say "hi."

Anonymous said...

Pam, what a sweet blog! I know Natalie is having a hard time getting used to the fact that you will not be her coach next year. We are so thankful for you and Margaret! This was a critical year for Natalie as she struggled with whether or not to continue with her gymnastics career. Thanks to your sweet personality and lots of HUGS, she decided to continue and loves it more now than ever! You were exactly what she needed after transferring from 'that other gym'. Thanks for all that you've done for her this year...you will not be forgotten. We love you and God Bless!
The Hogles

Brazil Girls said...

Florida Beaches!