Earleydays Search Engine

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pictures, gymnastics, and more

Sorry for the delay in posting.  March and April are insane months for us.  For March, we had gym meets the first and second weekends, then a retreat from church the 3rd weekend.  In April, J. had her state gymnastics meet the first weekend.  She did awesome!  She came in 5th All Around with a score of 36.075.  (A perfect score would be a 40 - which would be a 10 on each event.)

She has had an ongoing series of knee and ankle injuries lately.  The last one being that she landing a tumbling pass on the side of her foot, with her ankle rolled under.  It had a huge knot on it and turned many beautiful Easter colors; purple, blue, yellow, and green.  The colors were nice and vivid around her ankle and faded as it extended to her toes.  She went and saw our athletic trainer here at school every day for a week and a half and he would do some kind of e-stim boot therapy on it.  We were really hoping she would heal in time to compete at state.  She was hurting afterwards, but was able to do all 4 events.

She got 5th on vault with a 9.4.  Third place on bars with a 9.175.  9th on beam with an 8.5, and 11th on floor with a 9.00.  I am so proud of her!  

I am more proud of the fact that she did so much to help herself heal quickly and kept working through the pain.  This is what makes a gymnast - not the scores, not the placings at awards.  These girls work out 18 hours a week, go to school for 35 hours a week, keep up their grades, and do their chores.  For some, they are quite active in church.   They are usually leaders among their friends.  When they are hurt, they push through it.  I can personally say that there have been times where my daughter has saran wrapped ice bags to herself so that she can still work out.  She has gone in the bathroom and thrown up for one reason or another (sinus drainage, stress, etc - nothing contagious) and then has gone back out to the floor and finished whatever skills she was working on.  She competed twice last year with a fractured shin.  She has come home from practice and has had to have had help getting up the stairs because she is hurting.  She is not a rarity in the gymnastics world by any means.  They are all this way.  We had one girl still coming to practice with a stress fracture in her spine - she thought she just had a backache.  I have seen several girls doing conditioning with ice bags saran wrapped to their knees.  I have seen girls coming in and doing just conditioning when they have a cast on.  When they fall off of the beam or bars, they get back up immediately and do the same skill again and again so that they don't develop a fear.  I have seen them get hurt in the middle of a routine, finish the routine, and then not be able to get back up afterwards.  They have a work ethic like I have never seen before in kids.  They do their homework and dinner in the car on gym days.  Yet, when they take a couple of days off, they miss being there.  Since it is not a seasonal sport, they have these hours all year long, so the literally only get days off a year, not weeks.

Anyway, enough talking.  Here are some pics from the last couple of meets.  Keep in mind that you can not use a flash, the action is quite rapid, and the lighting is flourescent.  None of which allows for optimum pictures.

Here is J. and her friend A. getting ready to compete at state.  These are two of the most amazing young ladies:



J. doing her favorite event.  

J. doing her least favorite event:

J. and A. holding the team banner.  The team came in 7th!  Yay!



M. had a meet the same weekend.  She got her first 9 on beam.  Look at those pointed toes!



M. on bars.  She is such a flexible person that she has to really focus on staying tight.  She looks so much better on bars since she has learned how to focus on that:



This pictures look a little better as the lighting was a little better.  Here is J. hitting her handstand on the bar:

Look - her heels are together!  YAY!  (Since she is pigeon toed, this is a big struggle for her.)  

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pics.  The photographer at state got some really good pics, I will post them when I get them.

My team has state meet this coming weekend.  I am so excited and nervous for them!  

The next weekend, M. has her state meet.

Then, we are done competing for a few months and will work on training for the next level.

We went to the mountains over spring break and I am working on an update that will have "prettier" pictures for those of you that are not into the gymnastics stuff.  I forget that other people have a life that does not revolve around gymnastics schedules.  

**For those of you that get email updates - I'm sure that you noticed that you only got the title of the blog and a link to get here instead of the full entry.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.  There were several reasons for this.  I realized that for people that do NOT visit the actual site, you and I both were missing out on some things.   You would not get to see any pictures that I place on the blog template.  You also would not get to see my blogroll on the side.  Those sites are absolutely wonderful and I encourage you to visit them.  Also, for you guys that don't blog, something you may not know:  Bloggers LOVE for their hit counter to go up.  We also love to get comments.  We like to know you were here.  There is nothing more rewarding for a blogger than to see and read that people were here - another reason to visit my cyber-friends on the side over there.**

As usual, thank you for stopping by!




4 comments:

Pam D said...

I always heard (from the commentators on the Olympic coverage) just how hard the gymnasts work and how tough they are, but to hear it from someone I know makes it real. As a mom, is it hard to see your child hurting and yet still practicing/competing? Or do you just understand? I feel sure that both M and J will be well-equipped to handle whatever life throws at them after learning how to pick themselves up time and time again. I'd sure want them on my team! Glad to hear, though, that you'll get a break soon.. everyone needs some stress relief! Hang in there...

Sue G said...

So good to hear from you, Pam. And what a busy, productive life you lead! Whew. I get tired just thinking about it.

Gymnastics has always been my favorite sport to watch, both men and women. It is so graceful, so powerful, so controlled yet so full of creativity. Just a joy to watch. I can only imagine how thrilling it must be for the "parental units!" Challenging as well, I would imagine, knowing your child is injured yet trusting that they need to persevere. What a delicate balance of faith and determination!

Blessings on the upcoming events. May the girls find joy in the performance, satisfaction in the scores, and peace in knowing they performed their best...which is always more than enough.

martha said...

I have always wondered how in the world J keeps up the schedule she does. Or M , or you for that matter. There are no words to say just how proud I am of her. I just know there are big rewards awaiting for her in the future. I know for a fact some of the heartaches she goes through and I pray for her often. Also her little sissy and her Mom and Dad who make all of this possible. My love to all of you. Martha

Unknown said...

Your daughters are amazing and make me feel downright lazy when I see their schedules! I can certainly imagine just how proud you are of them.

And I'm proud of YOU for being such a great mom to them. You go, girl!!

Becky