Earleydays Search Engine

Friday, May 1, 2009

Seinfeld-esque

Did you ever watch the TV show Seinfeld? If not, it was the show about nothing. That is kind of how this post is going to be – a lot of nothings with no point whatsoever.

My blog buddy Natalie did something similar to this and I really enjoyed reading it. I am going to piggyback on her idea, with a few changes. Most of these are hypothetical questions that I don’t expect an answer to in this lifetime. Others are just things that stress me out and keep me up at night.

I am doing this for 2 reasons: I haven’t had a minute to put together a coherent entry. Out of the 4 computers in our house, only one is both working and accessible right now. Of course, it is the one computer that I don’t have any of my pictures on. With all of us fighting over the computer, my turn doesn’t last long.

Anyway, here goes.

Why do people on a multi lane highway drive the same speed as the car next to them? That creates a wall in which no one can get around. Why can’t they either speed up or slow down and/or change lanes? It’s not that hard.

Why do people think it is okay for them to turn left into the school entrance that says “No left turn?”

Why are people disrespectful to my kid(s) in front of other people and then deny it? Especially when a whole room full of people can hear it?

Why do networks find it necessary to put so much language and sexual stuff in shows that otherwise would be great shows that we could watch as a family?

Why am I so talented at having things get mangled somewhere between my brain and my mouth? Things sound so different in my head.

It bothers me that I may have to take anti-depressants my entire life.

I wonder if I will ever “get it together.”

Will I ever get enough sleep so that I am not always so tired?

When we get to heaven, will we be forever the age we were when we died?

Will we recognize each other in heaven?

Why can people make decisions that affect other people without conferring with those affected?

Will I ever be happy with myself?

Why do I have so many strange quirks? Can I make them go away? I don’t want to have issues with certain sounds and textures.

Will my kids grow up to be wonderful Christian women?

If they don’t, will I still be able to show unconditional love and acceptance?

Will I ever be able to find the movie Pure Luck on DVD?

Why have they not found more cures and treatments for cancer, especially childhood cancers?

Will I ever be caught up on laundry and house cleaning?

Why do my grey hairs all grow in the same spot?

How did I get so blessed to have such great blog friends, a handful of awesome friends that I see on a regular basis, a husband who loves me as well as likes me, and two amazing kids???

How was that for a post about nothing?
Leave me some comments and let me know some of the things you ponder.

As always, thanks for stopping by. Hopefully soon I will post a blog about an actual topic. Or with some pictures. Or at least a coherent thought. If it is a good day, maybe all three will appear in the same entry. Who knows???

8 comments:

wxjeff said...

I expect a LOT of people are where you are in your musings, Pam. Thanks for being transparent enough to put your thoughts out there publicly.

The traffic thing has always bothered me (and still does.) One thing that I've decided is that we live in a fallen world and people are selfish, ignorant or both.

Your daughters will do just fine... perhaps not "fine" in the manner you currently visualize, but fine nonetheless. Andy's participation in the Rescue Nashville event last weekend moved me to tears (and I do NOT cry easily.) I never thought of raising a socially conscious Christian young man, but there he is, challenging me on my world view.

Have a great weekend and may His grace cover you and your family always.

Jeff

Pam D said...

I'm glad you're not looking for answers to these, since most of them are the very questions that I ponder. One more question, though; could there be anyone more deserving of a "lodge getaway" at Pioneer Woman's ranch than Kristie? (and I DO have the answer to that; NO!). After all she's been through, it was so refreshing to see her having such a great time.
Other than that answer, I got nothin'. Heck, I don't even have one original post for the week on my blog; I need some "Brain-o" (which would be the writer's equivilent of Draino... ). heh. Looking forward to summer...

Sue G said...

Pam:

As usual, I enjoy your mental meanderings tremendously. Although I do admit that when you wander over to ponder your misperceived shortcomings, I always have to beg to differ. I think you're great just the way you are. In fact, the only thing that would make you even greater in my book would be if you left comments once in a while to my CB page. Seems like ages ago that I heard from you. :-)

So, honestly, let's look at you with or without anti-depressants: You are a wonderful Christian light in this world. You care about people and it shows! You love the Lord and it shows! You strive to do your best all the time and it shows! You are diligent in all your dealings and it shows! You garner the respect and love of your family, your gymnasts, your blog audience and it shows! You strive to do a little better every day at just being you and it shows! You have a gift for reflection and communication and it shows!

And that's just the short list. I'd be happy to give you the long one...but you'll have to sign my guest book first.

I am a bit shameless in my mini manipulation...and it shows!

Anonymous said...

What can I say...you're NORMAL. bob

Mr. Robby said...

You know I can't leave a question unanswered, so here goes...

Why do people on a multi lane highway drive the same speed as the car next to them?Actually, I think it's more like you pull out to pass someone and they speed up. Then you're stuck on their left and can't get around them

Why do people think it is okay for them to turn left into the school entrance that says “No left turn?”Because they believe their need is more important than the rules.

Why are people disrespectful to my kid(s) in front of other people and then deny it?It's probably more a matter of them not thinking what they did was disrespectful.

Why do networks find it necessary to put so much language and sexual stuff in shows that otherwise would be great shows that we could watch as a family?Because, unfortunately, most people let their kids watch that junk.

Why am I so talented at having things get mangled somewhere between my brain and my mouth?Because you're human.

Will I ever get enough sleep so that I am not always so tired?No. (that one was easy!)

When we get to heaven, will we be forever the age we were when we died?When we get to heaven we will be made perfect. I don't think anything remotely like what I am now (or will be in the future) would be considered perfect.

Will we recognize each other in heaven?If we're in the presence of God, will we be able to look at anything else?

Why can people make decisions that affect other people without conferring with those affected?Because people assume their decisions are what's best for everyone.

Will I ever be happy with myself?If not, you'll be on a short list. The rest of us are very happy with you.

Why do I have so many strange quirks?Because you're human. We all have quirks. You're just more honest about yours than most people. That's actually a sign of self-confidence.

Will my kids grow up to be wonderful Christian women?I don't have a crystal ball, but having known them most of their lives, I'd have to say yes.

If they don’t, will I still be able to show unconditional love and acceptance?Yes. You'll separate your love for them from your feelings about their choices. That's the kind of person you are.

Will I ever be able to find the movie Pure Luck on DVD?Yes. 6 months after you get rid of your DVD player for whatever comes out next. Kinda like all those VHS movies we found after we switched to DVD.

Why have they not found more cures and treatments for cancer, especially childhood cancers?Because it's an imperfect world. But we can rejoice in the progress they've made in the last few years. Even the children we've lost too young were given more time because of great science.

Will I ever be caught up on laundry and house cleaning?Only if the house burns down.

Why do my grey hairs all grow in the same spot?Because they're lonely. When you have more they'll spread out.

How did I get so blessed to have such great blog friends, a handful of awesome friends that I see on a regular basis, a husband who loves me as well as likes me, and two amazing kids???Because God knew what a great influence you'd be on all of us.

How was that for a post about nothing?Not bad. How was this for the world's longest comment?

Unknown said...

Your ponderments are interesting, insighful, entertaining and thought-provoking. (Just like you!)

I also enjoyed your post about coaching your girls' gymnastics team. Sounds like it's been a rich experience for them and for you!

martha said...

I sin more than anyone on the highway. If I could be an officer just for a week, some of these people woild get tickets as fast as I get speeding tickets. They cause people to take chances .
I believe your daughters will be human , just like everyone elses children and make mistakes just as all other humands do but I know they will be fine and live close to the Lord just as you have taught them. They are wonderful girls.
Forget getting a handle on your grey hair, it can only happen out of the bottle.
Life is good, we all wake up in the morning. I myself wake up in a new world every day, with or with out anti depressents.
As far as the sex and t.v. shows, it makes me sick. Who, in their right mind wants to watch someone else have sex? I think it is the older sick people who write these shows. My family has stopped watching several ones which have gotten to be too much.
I wish everyone had a way to ban together and force the issue.
Anyway you are a perfectly normal girl with normal hang ups. A wonderful yooung lady.Martha

Anonymous said...

I realy enjoy your post about "nothing" as it makes me realize that I am not so different after all. Even if it is simply comparing to our family members only. It also scares me little to realize that AGAIN these feelings of inadequacy run rampant throughout our family and makes me worry for my own daughter and selfishly for my own self. I would like to think that one day I will be normal and feel happy like other people I see, but perhaps its just how they appear and not how they really are. We are all so good at hiding ourselves. That's why we think we're not normal. Because our shortcomings cannot be taken in stride but rather stay at the surface of our minds constantly reminding us that we are "not worthy" of anything good, when really others have the same shortcomings, but they were able to accept them and let them go a long time ago. Sadly, I predict some of us (like me) will never learn how to do that. God may forgive us, and we may forgive others, but somehow we cannot forgive ourselves of even the simplest sins.

P.s.
I like Robby's comment

Nikki